Thursday, November 20, 2008

Understanding Tech Issues with Reliable Vision of Innovation

by Jerry Liao

Ever since Google's operating system "Android" was announced, my anticipation to try out the much-talked-about OS has never waned. Just the other day, my editor called me up and said: "Jerry, the boss just came back from Hong Kong and I have in my hands right now the Philippine's first Google phone". I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Finally, I get to lay my hands on the Android. I wasn't so much excited about the hardware components of the said phone, but more about its software. I remember when it was first announced, everybody thought the Android would be Google's mobile phone offering.

It turned out Google had other things in mind. Why offer a mobile phone when you can have more by installing the software in every phone. That's what Google seemed to be saying to the mobile world. And true enough, the 34 members of the Open Handset Alliance, which include HTC, LG, Motorola and Samsung Electronics, have pledged to develop Android-powered mobile handsets, HTC Dream being the first, if I am not mistaken.Continued...

No comments: